When Star Trek is not Enough or My Saga in Geekdom

When March approaches the vibe in the house changes from watching the SyFy Channel to listening to TWIT, Twitter and podcasts.   March rings in my yearly trip to Geek Mecca in Austin, Texas or also known as SXSW Interactive.  From March 11-13 a large group of Geeks converge on Austin to mix and mingle in the realm of Interactive Media and Film, with Music following for another week.  This was my son and I 3rd year to go, usually it is just us two but this year we decided to take my 16 year old nephew who as he put it felt so out of place like a cat at a dog run.  We began this year with hitting up the multitude of food carts located around the city; we had cupcakes, waffle and chicken, hot dogs and found the best old school soda shops.  If you every go to Austin I suggest heading to S. Congress to Big Top a true blue soda fountain/candy store, we had Dublin Dr. Pepper’s made by the soda jerk and must when I go back to Austin this summer.  We embarked on the Coventition Center to check out the new games coming out (this is where I begin my free shirt collection) then check out shops for artwork. We watched as Brian Brushwood of NSFW podcast and Scam School interviewed people standing in line for the IPad 2 which was a first for us to watch.  The next day we stood in line from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. so that Liam could be first in line to Diggnation’s (another podcast) which proved to be monumental for Liam as he was pulled on stage for a magic trick and commented on by the other host. This was the year he enjoyed the most meeting everyone again and them remembering him. The guys from NSFW welcomed me with open arms as they comment on my son, it makes me happy that he gets to meet his idols every year. 

While in Austin I had the pleasure of having the best breakfast every. A little place called Full English, I had homemade bangers, eggs and bacon which was organic from local farmers in the area. A must to go to in Austin you will not regret it. 

So I plan for next year when my son will be 21 and able to enjoy SXSW more fully with parties etc.  So I am saving up for next year to get the passes and look forward to an experience that beats all. So now normalice reins in the house with Star Trek blaring in the background. Live Long and Prosper.

sxsw

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great International Stash Busting Giveaway

Into Waters Unknown-January Edition Happy Homemaker Tag Swap

A Rose By Any Other Name: February’s Happy Homemaker Tag Along